Preparing for a photo shoot
- Bring a makeup chair unless you know for certain there is one at the location you are working at.
- Be prepared for it either being too hot or too cold on set. Dress in layers so you can deal with either scenario and be comfortable.
- Always pack water and snacks. Sometimes there are lunch breaks, and sometimes there are not. Be prepared for anything so you can stay focused on your work.
- Bring portable makeup lights if you aren’t sure of the lighting.
- Plan on the shoot running later than expected. They often do and you need to stay as long as needed.
- Check with someone in charge to make sure you can take behind the scenes photos & the protocol. Some jobs don’t allow any behind the scenes photos, or they allow them but you can’t post them until the shoot is published.
- If bts photos are allowed, be sure to tag everyone properly on social media. It’s a great way to connect with the people you are working with and it’s proper etiquette.
- Be a lovely person to work with! Don’t engage in negative talk. This can be a huge factor in whether you are hired again or not.
(Behind the scenes photo: Lucas Passmore, Makeup: Debra Macki, Hair: Sabrina Sanchez, Model: Britt Koth)